Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Poor Winter!

It is seven. I am sitting in my dark study. We have a two hour delay, and so, with the family sleeping in I have more time to sit quietly and now, more time to write and think. I seem out of practice.
It is not cold. It is dark. Some of the back roads are icy, hence the delay. But winter, I am sad to report, seems to have fled our valley. Last year's winter was held in a similar pattern: cold air sweeps in, producing momentary ice and snow, warm air sweeps in soon after, melting it away.

A few years ago when my boys were little boys we had the last big winter. Good packing snow and a lasting cold. We build a sizable snow fort and set a candle in it. All night it glowed warmly, in the back of our little artic back yard. I look now at the mud brown and patch white and slip into brief, indulgent mourning...I miss winter.

I also know that the world is always changing. It saddens me that January seems like late-March. But I am also fortunate enough to live in the most lovely place I've ever lived, so I have changed too, and every where and in every time there are moments I long to grasp and long to let go of. That is how we are.

A cold, black creek carving through hard, white snow. That is where winter is for me.

No comments: