Friday, April 10, 2009

Poetry on Fridays

Our Easter break here in Riegelsville is coming along nicely, with plenty of reading, walks in the fields, and a bit of music. It seems a pretty good storm is moving in, clouding the skies after a bright morning. For my part, I will be editing and studying, enjoying a quiet house.
So with that spirit in mind, let's hop back 1200 years to the voice of Po Chu I, who has been keeping me company recently. I always saw him as a somewhat conflicted, but dutiful Confucian, and now after reading some of Arthur Waley's book and jumping feet first into David Hinton's Poems of Po Chu I, I am now very much aware of Po's Buddhism, which, in Waley's translations doesn't really come through. Hinton's selection and translation decisions bring the Zen to the fore.

It is a remarkable book of poems, I think.

"Early Cicadas"

A rising moon lights mountains first.
A sudden wind rustles lakewater first.

And it's no different for cicada song:
it fills the ears of someone idle first,

one song bringing a tangle of grief,
and the next such longing for home.

And there in Hsia-kuei, first cicada
song so long ago felt just like this.

Who was it, listening in a simple house
among scholartree blossoms at dusk?

No comments: