Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Music

Back in 1980, well into my very intense Who-phase, a marvelous album came out: The Secret Policeman's Ball. It was a charity for Amnesty International. Monty Python was involved (John Cleese helped with the staging, Neil Innes performed a few tunes). The attention grabber was Pete Townshend who, with a solo album coming out and Keith Moon recently deceased, seemed to be moving past the old band.
These are great performances- I just watched them with my kids. I don't recall when I first saw the movie, but that album was in constant rotation for me.

Drowned
Won't Get Fooled Again

John Williams, the guitarist not the Strauss-pilfering soundtrack composer, accompanies Townshend on "Won't Get Fooled...". He played at the ball as well; it was the first Bach piece I listened to regularly- the "Bouree" from one of the Cello Suites. Here he is playing years later at the Alhambra Palace.

Prelude from Lute Suite #4

And so we can watch Townshend around the same time, here he is in a dressing room playing one of my favorites from "The Who Sell Out", plus a couple of others. BTW, he turned 67 May 19th. Enjoy.

Tattoo

No comments: