Monday, May 26, 2008

Music

I found this surprising: of the 10 best selling albums in the U.S. of all time, only two are greatest hits collections. I still find the numbers staggering. Remind me again how the music industry manages to lose money every year? Oh, yeah. I remember now. They didn't see the internet coming.

Best Selling Albums (U.S.)
Best Selling Albums (worldwide)

Another interesting tidbit: Thriller, of course, stands alone in worldwide sales. But the next tier of sales has on it three albums easy to guess: Saturday Night Fever (previous to Thriller, the best selling album of all time), The Eagles Greatest Hits (ugh!), Dark Side of the Moon (some of the initial profits from the LP went to financing Monty Python and the Holy Grail, also the longest charting album of all time) and finally...AC/DC's Back in Black. This last one surprised me.

I would love to see the a distribution of sales figures across the globe. How does AC/DC do in West Africa, or Shanghai?

No comments: